Sunday, July 27, 2014

WHAT COLOUR IS YOUR GOD? How a coat can misrepresent your character



I used to wear a charcoal grey winter coat. It was a nice coat and I liked it.

One day at a cosy Girly Getaway gathering with a focus on clothing that works for you, an image consultant gave me an ivory wool coat to try on.

The other ladies gasped and said, “You look warmer!”

Did they mean my body temperature had just risen? No. They were commenting on my personality. The colour I was wearing meant that now, instead of cool and distant, I seemed friendlier and more approachable. My character hadn’t changed, but the way others read me was influenced by the colours I wore.
This was very motivating for me to learn more about the seasonal palette and how God has designed me to fit into it*. This also makes me wonder about the way we read God. How do we know His true character? Are we relying on the “coat” some person told us God wears? Or do we trust the Book He wrote for us about what He’s really like?

Here are some of my favourite things He tells us about Himself in His Word, the Holy Bible:

  • He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he. (Deuteronomy 32:4)
  • The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy. (Psalm 145:8)
  • For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. (Psalm 100:5)
  • ...the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD of hosts, is his name, Great in counsel, and mighty in work: for thine eyes are open upon all the ways of the sons of men: to give every one according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings: (Jeremiah 32:18-19)
  • Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great. (Psalm 18:35)
  • …let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them... (Psalm 5:11)
  • The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer**; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. (Psalm 18:2)

That’s the colour of my God. What colour is your God?

May your week be filled with the colours of truth and hope!
Narelle

*My natural colouring looks at its best when arrayed from the Spring palette.

**God is indeed my deliverer. Want to hear how He delivered me three months ago? To play the video now, click here: BUMP in the Night: Supernatural Rescue from a Fire

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...