Thursday, November 22, 2012

How to Fish for a Fashion Bargain



Kathmandu Tonaca Pacific shirt, 81% off! Here’s how.

Fishing for a bargain, I found a Kathmandu women's shirt in Pacific.



  1. Install family member or friend in city location within reach of shops.
  2. Send parents to visit her (using a $1 ticket on NakedBus – you can’t beat that for economical travel).
  3. Browse Kathmandu online for clearance items.
  4. When website says Out of Stock in the size you want, email sister/friend to request that she phone her local Kathmandu retail store to ask if they have that Out of Stock item in shop.
  5. If purchase is successful, avoid shipping costs by having parents bring garment home with them.

A cap adds to the sporty look.


The shop had the size I wanted. The next day my sister went in to buy it for me (and gained an additional, friendly 10% discount). She liked the shirt so much that she bought one for herself and was wearing it as she texted me of her success. Shopping for identical clothing is unusual (now that we’re grown up) because she’s Winter colouring and I’m Spring, but the shirt is one of the four universal colours, so we’ll both look great in it.



I got a shock when the shirt was delivered to me via that $1 bus ticket. The colour wasn’t what it had appeared on the website. Here’s a warning: even if the web image is large and clear, if there’s an enlarge feature, use it. If I had done so, I would have been prepared for, not a plain aqua shirt, but a checked aqua shirt. The gray amidst the white and aqua means that the shirt has a chameleon quality depending on the lighting atmosphere. In a gloomy room, the shirt appears darker, almost teal. In bright sunlight, it is tropical aqua as appeared on the website. Given this adaptability, I can’t say the shirt is truly Universal in appearance, but I’ve decided that’s quibbling.

Just how big of a bargain was it? Originally priced at NZ$189.98, with double discounts, I paid just NZ$36 for it. If quality SaveMart/thrift store shopping isn’t readily available to you, then this sort of pricing and convenience is incredible. No matter what the original price, when time and effort are assets of even greater value to you than dollars, this quality for this expenditure is a BARGAIN.


Easy way to a different look: change the hat. Add a feather or flower for further feminine enhancement.


More Positives

The No-Fly-Zone bug proofing is guaranteed to last 100 washings. The shirt, I’m certain, will last many more than that.

It’s a shirt colour I’ve been on the lookout for. Yay!

The shaped hem is long enough to drape my rear when I’m wearing trousers.

It may be designed for rugged outdoor wear, but look at all the feminine detailing in the design! Practical and pretty!

 


The button settings on the placket are modest, but the V neck will leave my collarbone exposed under the intense Downunder sun. While there are two extra buttons on the tag, the placket curves back toward the collar from the point of the top button, meaning there isn’t room for an additional buttonhole. My best solution will be to add a hook and eye at the point above the top button where the front and back plackets diverge (when flattened) so that when I’m outdoors, I don’t have to worry about getting burnt.




The more pockets, the less I have need of a purse or tote bag. The shirt has three pockets, two buttoned and one daintily zipped. Another asset is that when it’s really hot, having breast pockets means you're modest enough not to need extra layers underneath. Anyone say Like?


2 comments:

Violet said...

Hi Narelle,
Thank you so much for writing this blog - I know that whenever I have a modesty issue I can go to Botique Narelle and find solutions! :) So I've awarded you over at Violets and Daisies: http://violetsdaisies.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/liebster-award-violets-response.html
God bless you as you continue to serve Him!
From your sister in Christ,
Violet

PS I LOVE your new blog design by the way!

Narelle Worboys said...

Thank you, Violet! for your kind words and for taking the time to say them. I am certainly encouraged.

I'm also glad you like the new look. The blog upgrade isn't finished yet. Hopefully by Monday evening the more complete aspect will be ready for you to enjoy. It will be worth another visit, I promise!

May the blessing of the LORD be upon you.

PS Make Jesus your Everything. Then your heart will always know confidence and contentment, no matter your sphere. =) I know. And it's a lifelong endeavour.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...