Friday, October 22, 2010

Backpacker's Best Bits, part 3

Continuing from part 2 of Backpacker’s Best Bits, what item of clothing makes your travels easier?

Navigating the Bundaberg River

My mother and I travelled from chilly New Zealand to the balmy Queensland coast in Australia. The days felt like summer at home, but the nights…well, the temperature plummeted and the buildings are designed to repel heat rather than retain it. I would have been miserable if I did not have a…

Best Bit #3: FLEECE JACKET
Arctic polarfleece lined with polyester, zipped instead of buttoned, three pockets

Like the mermaid skirt [Best Bit #1], I'm so glad I finished this project in time for the trip. I wouldn't have been comfy without it. I wore it everywhere.

Enjoying my Kermit Permit

It was
  • a cool climate outdoor coat over several other layers (it's winter in NZ);
  • a warm climate chill-evader (south Queensland winter temperatures can be expected to range from 8 to 24 degrees Celsius in a 24-hour period in June);
  • practical for travelling -- lightweight in the pack, inner pocket for passport and transit papers;
  • and it functioned well on night duty -- dressing gown, extra in-bed layer (especially on the night we found ourselves slumming without blankets).
Sunrise on Lady Elliot Island

Bring on the next trip!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...