Friday, June 25, 2010

Over My Head

SCARFING AROUND, part 5
Ways to Use a Small Piece of Fabric

Feminine toppers come in many styles. There is this type, generally known as a hat...

Then there is this type, generally known as a head covering...
There are lots of ways to apply this article of clothing, or accessory as some may consider it. I don't wear a head covering all the time, content with the covering God has already provided, but that's not to say I don't wish to be knowledgeable in the art of application.

Maybe one day I'll find myself touring holy sites in Rome or Jerusalem, or visiting with a Muslim family, or fellowshipping in a Mennonite congregation. I know I'll want to look my best _and_ honour the customs of those I'm with. I intend to be prepared. I invite you to journey with me as I share some of the delightful web options I've discovered.

Head covering is not just a religious or cultural practice. It is highly practical. In the heat it helps protect you from sunstroke. Seventy percent of your body's heat is lost through your head, so covering up in the cold will protect you from hypothermia and other chill-induced illnesses. If you're in a windy climate, covering your head will keep your hair tidy and dust-free as well as helping prevent wind-chill. And outdoors is not the only location you may want your hair to remain clean and tidy.

If you should be having a bad hair day, or suffer from hair loss, a head-covering is just the ticket to feeling chirpy again about your appearance.

I've visited three different online stores that offer a range of scarves, headbands, pre-tied bandanas, and plenty of images to give you ideas for how to tie the scarf or bandana that you already own or make from scratch.

Have fun!
Tznius' long headcover is available in a range of vibrant colours, and they suggest it may be tied 3 different ways (see images below).
Headcoverings by Devorah unveiled for me the mystery of how delicate pieces of fabric can be fixed to a lady's head without recourse to ugly bobby pins. (See 3 samples below.) The luscious fabrics and trims used by this company surely defy anyone's belief that headcoverings are less than beautiful.

CoverYourHair.com is a glorious place to visit. This rainbow of samples (below) shows just one style of bandana (large handkerchief) available to purchase.

The fabric options range from Audrey Hepburn chic to trendy paisleys and funky prints, and there are plain coloured cottons for those who like to keep it simple.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...