Friday, October 23, 2009

Zipper Tip 1

When you purchase fabric and trims, grab your zipper at the same time, even if you're not sure what pattern you're going to use. Fashion colours change unhelpfully, as I found with the illustrated fabric.

I thought there were so many shades of blue in the fabric I'd surely find a coordinating zipper once I'd figured out what style of dress I wanted. I was wrong.

Only one year after purchasing the fabric, light blues were no longer available in invisible zippers (regular zips offer a wider range), and neither was lavender (I tried 2 of the country's biggest fabric stores). I had a choice of white or dark blue, neither of which was ideal.

The zip pull is noticeable against my pale skin, and, something I hadn't anticipated, the dark colour highlights where the satin ribbons meet. These may seem like picky details, but if you're aiming for class, they're necessary considerations.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...