Friday, September 11, 2009

Scarfing Around Some More

Part 3 of WAYS TO USE A SMALL PIECE OF FABRIC
The Winter Scarf

Challenge
: You'd like 5 feet of drapey scarf to be more than an ornamental addition to your coat collar, but you can't figure out how to keep from getting it caught in the car door and choking you.

In Scarfing Around, I mentioned my gripe about not being able to control fly-away scarf ends. In that article, I showed how I solved that when the problem is a chiffon scarf. Now let's see how it can be accomplished with a fluffy winter scarf.

The Key is still Scarfing Around
The trailing ends of my outdoor scarf were fixed in this manner.

Lay one end of the scarf on your chest, fling the other end around your neck twice, and you should have just enough length to lay the far end on top of the first one.

Pop your coat on, and twitch the encircling layers to ensure perfect comfort and coverage. I enjoy my daily walk much better when I don't return home with my jaw locked shut by a freezing wind.

Should you encounter a sudden Gulf Stream, there's no need to turn beet-red from the hot air. Pull one end of the scarf out from inside your coat, unwrap one loop from your neck, and let the long end trail down the front of your coat. Or tuck the end into a pocket. Or unwrap the second loop and let the long end trail down your back. While this might render you once more susceptible to car doors, it is easy to reloop around your neck and tuck back into your coat.

My favourite scarf is a tasseled red acrylic, soft to wear, cheerful to look at, and matches my hat and gloves. However, as an unusually cold winter advanced, I could tell it wasn't going to keep me warm enough. I went looking for a cheap alternative -- a knitted one would be too bulky and scratchy. At a local discount shop, I found a rack of tartan polarfleece scarves decorated with a row of cute tassles at each end, but they were significantly thinner than my red one. I moaned to my mother in disappointment.

SEWING TIP
Smart woman that she is, she suggested that I buy two and sew them together. We checked the price tag: Buy 1=$4. Buy 2=$7. Nearly half the price of my red one. So I bought two, stitched the long edges together, turned it inside out, and now I have cosy and convenient twin layers and no-one can tell they were born separately.

A distortion in the polarfleece preventing the ends being level didn't matter because nobody sees the ends when I'm wearing the scarf, and even if they could see them, they'd probably only notice the mass of tassles.

That's my fashion tip of the day: You can get away with a lot if you don't tell anybody!

More scarf tips coming soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...