Friday, February 29, 2008

Further Formal Fancies

Here you will see outfits worn by guests at Genevieve and Pete's wedding.

Grace, one of the hair and makeup artists for the Maiden Daughters, presented a dramatic contrast to the ivory-clad maidens.

I love what Amy did with this sundress to create a modest, very pretty outfit. She wore a camisole underneath and a cotton shrug jacket over the top. For front view, see below.
Katie offered another illustration of how to wear a dress that is a bit lacking in bodice – pop a turtleneck underneath.

Below, from left to right: Alison sewed this silky faille dress that almost glowed in the dark; Jessica sewed her cotton blouse and a skirt made classy with a layer of organza; Felicity sewed her cotton blouse and purchased the layered crinkle-cotton skirt.

I first saw Erin outside the church prior to the wedding (while her dress looked freshly pressed and before her hair was mussed by the wind). I was very taken with her elegant charm. She says the dress is a Sense and Sensibility pattern. (See www.sensibility.com. Visit this section for lots of lovely gowns – you’ll even find Genevieve among them!)

Erin accessorized her dress with these cute pearl buttons, pearl necklace and earrings, and dainty white high heeled sandals completed the picture. I think there was also a small white purse hanging from her shoulder. I was delighted to be able to take her picture with these pretty maids who had so obviously taken care with their appearance.

No, this little darling wasn't at the wedding (she lives in an old Butterick pattern book), but she provides a good example of how even a simple fabric like gingham can be pieced together into something femininely delicious. I include her picture, and the one below (these sweethearts were at the wedding), because Erin's young friends reminded me of a friend’s wedding at which I became acquainted with a young mother seated behind me.

I commented on how pretty her 3 daughters looked in matching dresses, and she told me of her belief that weddings are very special and that one should dress in a manner that shows honour and respect for the sacredness of the occasion. She made a big effort to create special clothes for her growing girls, so they were used to getting dressed up, but on this occasion the eldest, aged 12, declined to wear her dress, saying it wasn’t trendy and nobody else would be dressed thus. Her mother explained her reasons, and finally her daughter acquiesced. I thanked her for her persistence, for I certainly appreciated the effect. I have seen so many casual wedding attendees.

As you can see from these illustrations, it’s not difficult to turn a nice garment into something special. Jessica pinned her hair with a sparkly alligator clip (you can’t see that in the photo, but I could see it right from the back of the church), and used organza for her simple skirt pattern. Erin added pearl buttons and dainty sandals.

Shoes are a great help in elevating an outfit. It has been said that a lady can wear an old cotton dress but with pretty high heels everyone will think she is stylishly dressed. This is humourously illustrated by Violet in the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life” when she responds to a compliment with, ‘What, this old thing? I only wear it when I don’t care how I look!’

I’ve found the shoe trick a good one. My wedding garment was a day dress (100% polyester from Hamilton’s Fabric Barn, cotton lace from Spotlight), made elegant with a matching purse and slingback heels (from Burlace Shuz in Dannevirke).

The weather featured a strong breeze (enough to steal the bride’s veil off her head when she stepped out of the car!) and a hideaway sun, so an embroidered cap (JayJays) and white denim jacket (EziBuy) were helpful additions.

There were many other examples of feminine loveliness at Genevieve and Pete’s reception, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to meet them all or take their picture from a beneficial angle. I’d sure love to hear from this lassie…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...